What is it like to flee a war-torn country as a child? What lasting psychological effects do refugees face? Can peer support and trauma informed care lead to lasting recovery? Khatera Aslami Tamplen, an Afghan-American and the Consumer Empowerment Manager for Alameda CountyBehavioral Health Services in California discusses war trauma, the activist struggle to end involuntary commitment, and the value of letting people have a say in their own mental health recovery. pocc.org/ https://copelandcenter.com/facilitators/khatera-aslami
Subscribe / Follow Us!
Subscribe to Madness Radio updates by email
- Traditional South African Healing | Gogo Ekhaya Esima | Madness Radio
- Hearing Voices | Lisa Forestell | Madness Radio
- Meditation and Liberation | Nirali Shah | Madness Radio
- Audiobook: Coming Off Psychiatric Medications Harm Reduction Guide | Madness Radio
- Refugees and Trauma | Khatera Aslami-Tamplen | Madness Radio
- Borderlands Acupuncture | Herman Garcia – Ryan Bemis | Madness Radio
- Geography of Madness | Frank Bures | Madness Radio
- Human Rights in India | Bhargavi Davar | Madness Radio
- John Herbert: on Exporting Mental Disorders: Ethan Watters: It isn't à sign of good mental health to be well integrated in a society th
- John Herbert: on Therapy for Psychosis: Daniel Mackler: Great show, keep on changing the 'mental health' system from top to bottom
- Will Hall: on Redefining Research: Nev Jones: While the concern for privacy and speaking for oneself is very important, a
- Colin Hambrook: on Meditation and Liberation | Nirali Shah | Madness Radio: I really appreciate this interview - echoed a lot of feelings about meditat
- Priya Prabhakaran: on Meditation and Liberation | Nirali Shah | Madness Radio: Thank you so much Nirali and Will...I really needed to hear this today and
Have You Heard?
- Keely Malone, organizer with Freedom Center, and Arise for Social Justice, talks about her work with Quabbin Mediation training people in "Active Bystandership," teaching how …
Recent Blog Posts
- Thinking Upstream: Winning Real Mental Health Reform By Joining the Anti-Corruption Movement
- Cannabis for Treating Mental Health Conditions? A Clear Yes, Maybe.
- Letter to the Mother of a “Schizophrenic:” We Must Do Better Than Forced Treatment and Laura’s Law
- Thai Translation of Coming Off Meds Guide!
- Is it Depression? Or Melancholy? Or…
- The Substance of Substance Use: Talking About Marijuana, Alcohol, and Other Drugs
- Do You Think It’s Real? Responding to Alternate Realities
- Dylan Tighe – “RECORD: Questioning A Scientific View of Mental Health” Play Features Madness Radio
Activism Addiction Alternatives Art Big Pharma Books Children Coming Off Meds Community Depression Diagnostic Labels Documentary Dreams Drugs Ecology Electroshock Families Genetics Healing Trauma Hearing Voices History Holistic Health Homelessness Human Rights Indigenous People International Mad Science Meditation Music Neuroscience Personal Stories Philosophy Poetry Police & Prisons Professionals Psychiatric Abuse Race Real Paranoia Relationships Sexuality Social Justice & War Spirituality Suicide System Reforms Video