Richard DeGrandpre, former editor of Adbusters magazine and author of Ritalin Nation, discusses his new book, The Cult of Pharmacology, and how the popular conception of “addiction” behind the War On Drugs is scientifically inaccurate: social context, learning, morality and meaning determine how drugs affect us, not simple addiction chemistry.
Subscribe or Follow Us!
Subscribe to Madness Radio updates by email
- Judaism Madness and Spirit | Caroline Mazel-Carlton | Madness Radio
- Soteria Alaska | Connor Tindall | Madness Radio
- Second Story Hospital Alternative | Adrian Bernard | Madness Radio
- Jungian Therapy for Psychosis | George Mecouch | Madness Radio
- Compassionate Psychotherapy | Olga Runciman | Madness Radio
- Systems View of Life | Fritjof Capra | Madness Radio
- Sane Vegan Transition | Sabrina Louise | Madness Radio
- Life After Psych Meds | Laura Delano | Madness Radio
- Will Hall: on Second Story Hospital Alternative | Adrian Bernard | Madness Radio: Sorry about that! Should work now :-)
- Herbert john: on Second Story Hospital Alternative | Adrian Bernard | Madness Radio: The link to your broadcast does not work.
- Mark Lockyer: on Systems View of Life | Fritjof Capra | Madness Radio: There are times when you come across information and it's perfect timing fo
- Will Hall: on Queer Teen Pregnancy | Nina Packebush | Madness Radio: I wish I could do more shows with more guests - your story is certainly wor
- John Herbert: on Queer Teen Pregnancy | Nina Packebush | Madness Radio: I have the uncanny feeling that you know my story Will. I also have the fee
Have You Heard?
- Why did the fifth edition of the Diagnostic and Statistic Manual become so controversial? Is it possible to alleviate human suffering without classifying it as …
Recent Blog Posts
- Thinking Upstream: Winning Real Mental Health Reform By Joining the Anti-Corruption Movement
- Cannabis for Treating Mental Health Conditions? A Clear Yes, Maybe.
- Letter to the Mother of a “Schizophrenic:” We Must Do Better Than Forced Treatment and Laura’s Law
- Thai Translation of Coming Off Meds Guide!
- Is it Depression? Or Melancholy? Or…
- The Substance of Substance Use: Talking About Marijuana, Alcohol, and Other Drugs
- Do You Think It’s Real? Responding to Alternate Realities
- Dylan Tighe – “RECORD: Questioning A Scientific View of Mental Health” Play Features Madness Radio
Activism Addiction Alternatives Art Big Pharma Books Children Coming Off Meds Community Depression Diagnostic Labels Documentary Dreams Drugs Ecology Electroshock Families Genetics Healing Trauma Hearing Voices History Holistic Health Homelessness Human Rights Indigenous People International Mad Science Meditation Music Neuroscience Personal Stories Philosophy Poetry Police & Prisons Professionals Psychiatric Abuse Race Real Paranoia Relationships Sexuality Social Justice & War Spirituality Suicide System Reforms Video