Jyl Ion hears voices, but she refuses to view these non-ordinary experiences as a sign of mental illness. Instead Jyl came off 16 years of multiple toxic medications, talks to her ancestor spirits and has reclaimed access to unsanctioned knowledge. She struggled through the aftermath of sexual violence and was bedridden for two years of illness withdrawing from psychiatric meds – and now emerges as a strong survivor. Today Jyl has turned her voice hearing and her traumatic past into gifts, and works professionally as a forensic medium helping law enforcement solve missing persons cases. Her new book of poetry is called Soft Out Spoken.
Subscribe or Follow Us!
Subscribe to Madness Radio updates by email
- Somatic Trauma Therapy | Phillippe Citrine & Jacks McNamara | Madness Radio
- Schizophrenia Factory Christmas Story | Will Hall | Madness Radio
- Survivors As Therapists | Jacks McNamara | Madness Radio
- Bicycles and Madness! | Nedra Deadwyler | Madness Radio
- Nothing About Us Without Us | Jay Mahler | Madness Radio
- Medication Withdrawal | Adele Framer | Madness Radio
- Oddball Magazine w/ Will Hall | Jason Wright | Madness Radio
- A Little Crazy – Show Me All Your Scars | Susie Meserve | Madness Radio
Have You Heard?
- What is it like to hear voices? How do people learn to live with their voices, and are voices sometimes positive and helpful? What is …
Recent Blog Posts
- Thinking Upstream: Winning Real Mental Health Reform By Joining the Anti-Corruption Movement
- Cannabis for Treating Mental Health Conditions? A Clear Yes, Maybe.
- Letter to the Mother of a “Schizophrenic:” We Must Do Better Than Forced Treatment and Laura’s Law
- Thai Translation of Coming Off Meds Guide!
- Is it Depression? Or Melancholy? Or…
- The Substance of Substance Use: Talking About Marijuana, Alcohol, and Other Drugs
- Do You Think It’s Real? Responding to Alternate Realities
- Dylan Tighe – “RECORD: Questioning A Scientific View of Mental Health” Play Features Madness Radio
- Sabrina V Lin: on Oddball Magazine w/ Will Hall | Jason Wright | Madness Radio: I don't think I have schizophrenia. I was labeled by the hospital to keep t
- Sabrina V Lin: on Oddball Magazine w/ Will Hall | Jason Wright | Madness Radio: The reason why science cannot be trusted is because does not emotionally co
- Sabrina V Lin: on Oddball Magazine w/ Will Hall | Jason Wright | Madness Radio: I think there is something wrong with the people who research and create ne
- Sabrina V Lin: on Nothing About Us Without Us | Jay Mahler | Madness Radio: My experience in the hospital is tat the staff members enjoy inflicting pai
- yana jacobs: on Nothing About Us Without Us | Jay Mahler | Madness Radio: Listened to this amazing 2 hour interview. What a gift that you were abl
Activism Addiction Alternatives Art Big Pharma Books Children Coming Off Meds Community Depression Diagnostic Labels Documentary Dreams Drugs Ecology Electroshock Families Genetics Healing Trauma Hearing Voices History Holistic Health Human Rights Indigenous People International Mad Science Meditation Music Neuroscience Personal Stories Philosophy Poetry Police & Prisons Process Work Professionals Psychiatric Abuse Race Real Paranoia Relationships Sexuality Social Justice & War Spirituality Suicide System Reforms Video