After taking the psychedelic drug ayahuasca Martha Elisabeth went into an extended altered state diagnosed as psychotic. Her terrifying ordeal ignited a spiritual initiation that eventually brought gifts of awakening, insight, and compassion. How did Martha emerge from her ecstatic journey through a mythic, archetypal world to become an advocate and teacher? What lessons can we learn about the dangers — and potentials — of psychedelics and of altered states of consciousness labeled “madness”? Today she is a mental health case worker in the UK National Health Service, co-director of an interdisciplinary research team, and voice for more humane and spiritual treatments for madness.
Subscribe or Follow Us!
Subscribe to Madness Radio updates by email
- Psychedelic Therapy Abuse: Ending the Silence | Will Hall | Madness Radio
- Mad Conversations | Erick Fabris | Madness Radio
- Love Is a Skill | Laura-Marie & Jacks McNamara | Madness Radio
- Somatic Trauma Therapy | Phillippe Citrine & Jacks McNamara | Madness Radio
- Schizophrenia Factory Christmas Story | Will Hall | Madness Radio
- Survivors As Therapists | Jacks McNamara | Madness Radio
- Bicycles and Madness! | Nedra Deadwyler | Madness Radio
- Nothing About Us Without Us | Jay Mahler | Madness Radio
Have You Heard?
- Why are so many children being diagnosed bipolar? Do medications treat disease - or just keep children under control? What else can parents do when …
Recent Blog Posts
- Thinking Upstream: Winning Real Mental Health Reform By Joining the Anti-Corruption Movement
- Cannabis for Treating Mental Health Conditions? A Clear Yes, Maybe.
- Letter to the Mother of a “Schizophrenic:” We Must Do Better Than Forced Treatment and Laura’s Law
- Thai Translation of Coming Off Meds Guide!
- Is it Depression? Or Melancholy? Or…
- The Substance of Substance Use: Talking About Marijuana, Alcohol, and Other Drugs
- Do You Think It’s Real? Responding to Alternate Realities
- Dylan Tighe – “RECORD: Questioning A Scientific View of Mental Health” Play Features Madness Radio
- Violet: on Madness and Renewal: Michael Cornwall: Powerful… I appreciate your view.
- Sabrina V Lin: on Oddball Magazine w/ Will Hall | Jason Wright | Madness Radio: I don't think I have schizophrenia. I was labeled by the hospital to keep t
- Sabrina V Lin: on Oddball Magazine w/ Will Hall | Jason Wright | Madness Radio: The reason why science cannot be trusted is because does not emotionally co
- Sabrina V Lin: on Oddball Magazine w/ Will Hall | Jason Wright | Madness Radio: I think there is something wrong with the people who research and create ne
- Sabrina V Lin: on Nothing About Us Without Us | Jay Mahler | Madness Radio: My experience in the hospital is tat the staff members enjoy inflicting pai
Activism Addiction Alternatives Art Big Pharma Books Children Coming Off Meds Community Depression Diagnostic Labels Documentary Dreams Drugs Ecology Electroshock Families Genetics Healing Trauma Hearing Voices History Holistic Health Human Rights Indigenous People International Mad Science Meditation Music Neuroscience Personal Stories Philosophy Poetry Police & Prisons Process Work Professionals Psychiatric Abuse Race Real Paranoia Relationships Sexuality Social Justice & War Spirituality Suicide System Reforms Video