How do psychiatric labels shape our perceptions of others – and ourselves? Are there better ways to understand emotional distress? Does the “peer movement” offer real alternatives — or present new problems? Sera Davidow, psychiatric survivor, director of the peer-run Western Mass Recovery Learning Community (RLC), and co-producer of the new film “Beyond the Medical Model,” discusses the politics of language and innovative programs to truly help people in distress.
Subscribe / Follow Us!
Subscribe to Madness Radio updates by email
- Crazywise Film | Phil Borges | Madness Radio
- Traditional South African Healing | Gogo Ekhaya Esima | Madness Radio
- Hearing Voices | Lisa Forestell | Madness Radio
- Meditation and Liberation | Nirali Shah | Madness Radio
- Audiobook: Coming Off Psychiatric Medications Harm Reduction Guide | Madness Radio
- Refugees and Trauma | Khatera Aslami-Tamplen | Madness Radio
- Borderlands Acupuncture | Herman Garcia – Ryan Bemis | Madness Radio
- Geography of Madness | Frank Bures | Madness Radio
- John Herbert: on Stop The Murphy Bill | Leah Harris | Madness Radio: Thank you so much for your support and Advocacy. Here in France the compoun
- John Herbert: on Exporting Mental Disorders: Ethan Watters: It isn't à sign of good mental health to be well integrated in a society th
- John Herbert: on Therapy for Psychosis: Daniel Mackler: Great show, keep on changing the 'mental health' system from top to bottom
- Will Hall: on Redefining Research: Nev Jones: While the concern for privacy and speaking for oneself is very important, a
- Colin Hambrook: on Meditation and Liberation | Nirali Shah | Madness Radio: I really appreciate this interview - echoed a lot of feelings about meditat
Have You Heard?
- Recovery leader and survivor Ed Knight talks about Zen, Insight, and Christian meditation and "schizophrenia," including discrimination against people with psychiatric labels at meditation retreats, …
Recent Blog Posts
- Thinking Upstream: Winning Real Mental Health Reform By Joining the Anti-Corruption Movement
- Cannabis for Treating Mental Health Conditions? A Clear Yes, Maybe.
- Letter to the Mother of a “Schizophrenic:” We Must Do Better Than Forced Treatment and Laura’s Law
- Thai Translation of Coming Off Meds Guide!
- Is it Depression? Or Melancholy? Or…
- The Substance of Substance Use: Talking About Marijuana, Alcohol, and Other Drugs
- Do You Think It’s Real? Responding to Alternate Realities
- Dylan Tighe – “RECORD: Questioning A Scientific View of Mental Health” Play Features Madness Radio
Activism Addiction Alternatives Art Big Pharma Books Children Coming Off Meds Community Depression Diagnostic Labels Documentary Dreams Drugs Ecology Electroshock Families Genetics Healing Trauma Hearing Voices History Holistic Health Homelessness Human Rights Indigenous People International Mad Science Meditation Music Neuroscience Personal Stories Philosophy Poetry Police & Prisons Professionals Psychiatric Abuse Race Real Paranoia Relationships Sexuality Social Justice & War Spirituality Suicide System Reforms Video