How do psychiatric labels shape our perceptions of others – and ourselves? Are there better ways to understand emotional distress? Does the “peer movement” offer real alternatives — or present new problems? Sera Davidow, psychiatric survivor, director of the peer-run Western Mass Recovery Learning Community (RLC), and co-producer of the new film “Beyond the Medical Model,” discusses the politics of language and innovative programs to truly help people in distress.
Subscribe / Follow Us!
Subscribe to Madness Radio updates by email
- Meditation and Liberation | Nirali Shah | Madness Radio
- Audiobook: Coming Off Psychiatric Medications Harm Reduction Guide | Madness Radio
- Borderlands Acupuncture | Herman Garcia – Ryan Bemis | Madness Radio
- Geography of Madness | Frank Bures | Madness Radio
- Human Rights in India | Bhargavi Davar | Madness Radio
- Intergenerational Trauma | Naas Siddiqui | Madness Radio
- New Vision for Psychiatry | Jim van Os | Madness Radio
- Stop The Murphy Bill | Leah Harris | Madness Radio
- neil.t.lane: on Meditation and Liberation | Nirali Shah | Madness Radio: Thanks Nirali and Will for broaching such an important subject -- meditatio
- Laura Bemis: on Borderlands Acupuncture | Herman Garcia – Ryan Bemis | Madness Radio: I learned so much from this program. I am also on the Board of Crossroads A
- Pat H: on Borderlands Acupuncture | Herman Garcia – Ryan Bemis | Madness Radio: I liked this show. I have an indigenous practice one known to me Pat that h
- Ed Knight: on Buddhist Meditation and Schizophrenia: Ed Knight: My name is Ed Knight PhD. (firstname.lastname@example.org) I did the interview pos
- Toby Watson: on Ethical Therapy: Toby Watson: Your most welcome Michelle. Here are several places I recommend: www.psychi
Have You Heard? A Show from the Archives
- Does psychotherapy cover up issues of power and social justice? Are talk show therapists providing help, or blaming individuals for their problems? David Bedrick, counselor, …
Recent Blog Posts
- Thinking Upstream: Winning Real Mental Health Reform By Joining the Anti-Corruption Movement
- Cannabis for Treating Mental Health Conditions? A Clear Yes, Maybe.
- Letter to the Mother of a “Schizophrenic:” We Must Do Better Than Forced Treatment and Laura’s Law
- Thai Translation of Coming Off Meds Guide!
- Is it Depression? Or Melancholy? Or…
- The Substance of Substance Use: Talking About Marijuana, Alcohol, and Other Drugs
- Do You Think It’s Real? Responding to Alternate Realities
- Dylan Tighe – “RECORD: Questioning A Scientific View of Mental Health” Play Features Madness Radio
Activism Addiction Alternatives Art Big Pharma Books Children Coming Off Meds Community Depression Diagnostic Labels Documentary Dreams Drugs Ecology Electroshock Families Genetics Healing Trauma Hearing Voices History Holistic Health Homelessness Human Rights Indigenous People International Mad Science Meditation Music Neuroscience Personal Stories Philosophy Poetry Police & Prisons Professionals Psychiatric Abuse Race Real Paranoia Relationships Sexuality Social Justice & War Spirituality Suicide System Reforms Video